IAB_General IT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
IAB_General IT

Discussion for General IT class in IAB

You are not connected. Please login or register

Give me my music

+4
sarah lee
LisaMo
SungHoon
moodean
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Give me my music Empty Give me my music Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 am

moodean

Web 2.0 and music....has this new web technology affected how we listen to our music?

Where do people get their music? Do a quick survey amongst your friends (indicate how many you asked/surveyed and have 3 or 4 options they can choose from). You do not need an actual survey form, just a verbal response would do.

What do your survey results show about the way music is consumed nowadays?

An article will follow soon for your reading and thoughts. Like I mentioned before, I hope to see how some of you are thinking about the issue. But that will follow in a while.

mrt

2Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 am

moodean

this would include music videos, remediated stuff, remixes and mashups (since they are getting really popular nowadays).

Btw, does anybody know what remediation, remixes and mashups are?

mrt

3Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:44 am

moodean

Here are the promised articles...for music...

\\solomon\submissions\General IT\Music Media in Young People's Everyday Lives.pdf
The title speaks for itself. It is a study into how music is consumed nowadays. However, it is written from a certain point of view and not necessarily representative of the global population. However, this article (or book extract) does raise interesting observations.

\\solomon\submissions\General IT\David Beer_ The Pop-Pickers Have Picked Decentralised Media.pdf
The articles speaks of the demise of a certain music programme and how they said it was brought about by the advent of technology.

On your own, see if you can look out for articles that speak of how the internet has changed the way music is distributed and consumed. Keep that in your log for reference.

4Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:06 am

SungHoon

A mashup is a song or composition created by blending two or more pre-recorded songs, Very Happy

5Give me my music Empty GIve me my music Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:46 am

LisaMo

LisaMo

In the survey I did, almost everyone get music from torrent, and some people get it from friends. Mashups/remix are mix of 2 or more songs. As the time passes, and Internet has developed, Ways to distribute music has changed. Before the Internet was developed, people could only listen to musics by radios or music tv programs. Now, since the Internet has developed and everything, people could download musics either buying from online store or using torrents. People could share the music they have downloaded by various site (ex. facebook, twitter etc.)

6Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 am

sarah lee

Music can be shared today. An example of a very popular Web 2.0 music would be billboard.com. It shows the current top 100 songs in the united states.

people get it from 4shared, baidu, buy it from itunes and get it from friends.
it is easier to get music online these days, and people don't bother to buy it. it is like the copyright problem thingy we talked about today.

remixes and maships: the famous one is DJ earworm, glee, sam tsui, jason chen and other youtube celebrities

7Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 am

PiemanPai

PiemanPai

Nowadays, a large majority of people get music via torrents. It's easy and free. People would rather get things for free than pay. People also send audio files to their friends.

8Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:43 am

moodean

sarah lee wrote:
Music can be shared today. An example of a very popular Web 2.0 music would be billboard.com. It shows the current top 100 songs in the united states.

people get it from 4shared, baidu, buy it from itunes and get it from friends.
it is easier to get music online these days, and people don't bother to buy it. it is like the copyright problem thingy we talked about today.

remixes and maships: the famous one is DJ earworm, glee, sam tsui, jason chen and other youtube celebrities

Does Billboad allow you a playlist like google.cn, or even grooveshark.com?

9Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 am

moodean

PiemanPai wrote:Nowadays, a large majority of people get music via torrents. It's easy and free. People would rather get things for free than pay. People also send audio files to their friends.

Have you statistics to show that people get them from torrents?

10Give me my music Empty april Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 am

april

Since I havent tried music of new web technology (web 2.0), i don't know whether it really affects us
when it comes to listen to music.
Most people today download their music from 4shared,skydj and baidu. But, some of my friends
said they pay for buying music albums of their favorite singers as well!

11Give me my music Empty NYB Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:46 am

yongbi.nah

Even though i didn't try music of new web technology (web 2.0), I think affraid It affect us a lot. It shows what songs are popular and we can share musics online.

12Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 am

moodean

april wrote:
Since I havent tried music of new web technology (web 2.0), i don't know whether it really affects us
when it comes to listen to music.
Most people today download their music from 4shared,skydj and baidu. But, some of my friends
said they pay for buying music albums of their favorite singers as well!

Interesting observation there April. So you noted that people would either download their music from sites that allow that download to take place or to pay for music albums (is it online?). How is that different from the past? What has the Internet done to change the way we listen to our music?

Maybe another question: How would you choose your music albums if you did not have the internet? Does the internet affect the way you choose your music?

mrt

13Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 am

Chris

Chris

You could say that music has made the internet more popular. People want to use the internet to find more music, and possibly get it for free, rather than buy it at stores. It also gives them more availability of music than music stores, as well as variety. The internet would have every kind of music. If the internet didn't have music, I thinks its usage would drop considerably.

14Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 am

moodean

Chris wrote: You could say that music has made the internet more popular. People want to use the internet to find more music, and possibly get it for free, rather than buy it at stores. It also gives them more availability of music than music stores, as well as variety. The internet would have every kind of music. If the internet didn't have music, I thinks its usage would drop considerably.

Statistics? That would be helpful to show usage. But if not for music, how would that change the landscape on the Internet? Would that really reduce the use of the Internet? Is that possible?

mrt

15Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 am

Chris

Chris

Lets see...Baidu...Itunes........Other Online music shops...Youtube music remixes... need I go on?

16Give me my music Empty Re: Give me my music Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 pm

moodean

Chris wrote:Lets see...Baidu...Itunes........Other Online music shops...Youtube music remixes... need I go on?

Honestly, you lost me there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum